Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Bareback on Christmas

I've written poems before.

One was about my purple feet...one was about my mean sister...one was about my weird brother..you starting to get the idea right?

If you'll remember, yesterday we talked about what kind of poem I should write for the Holiday/Cowboy Poem contest that is going on this month and I mentioned my idea of Dear, Sweet Alotofbull...



Sadly, this idea did not work out but somehow it did give me this idea....

Please Enjoy. (And by "Enjoy" I mean don't laugh at me.)



Bareback on Christmas Day


They say there’s nothing better than a One Horse Open Sleigh,
But have they ever rode bareback on Christmas Day?


It’s the best type of merriment that you shall ever find!
At least that’s what Cleo Jackson came to find.


It was a Christmas morning, before moon gave way to sun,
when Cleo noticed a wild steer loose, and on the run.


“I’ll go rope that steer just as sure as the sky is blue!
And still make it back for a cup of coffee or two.”


This was Cleo’s intention, his heart as always, full of Gold.
But Cleo seemed to forget that the day was more than cold.


He hopped bareback on “Ole Breezy” to avoid the chill,
This didn’t stop the stud from giving Cleo a look that could kill.


Toward the wild steer they loped,
Cleo aboard Breezy, for the duration he hoped.


But Breezy was feelin’ a little too spry,
And when the stud started to buck, Cleo feared he was going to die.


“Not on Christmas!” Cleo yelled out of pain.
He grabbed for anything, and took ahold of Breezy’s mane.


The two continued to battle all the way to the brook,
Cleo started to laugh, and with him the whole earth shook.


“Christmas is here, and I am young!
This stud will not keep me from having some fun!”


Cleo rode Breezy with a smile on his face,
Knowing that in this contest he took home 1st place.


In the end, the wild steer was caught and Breezy grew meek.
Cleo was home for the holidays, and of the mornings event he did speak:


“Merry Christmas to everyone!” Cleo shouted away.
“Riding bareback is better than in a one horse open sleigh!”


Amen.



Peace, Love, & May all your poems be better than mine...

Sweet T


P.S. The name "Breezy" is courtesy of one of Riley Smiths pesky grey horses.

No comments: