Sunday, August 28, 2011

Cotton-Pickin' Rednecks

Now that I'm living in a "College" Town I've met a lot of new people, from a lot of different backgrounds but, most of them have one thing in common: They have never heard of Earth, Texas.

It's the same conversation every time, with the same facial expressions:

New Person: So, where are you from?

Me: Earth, Texas!

New Person: Earth?  EARTH?!

Me:  Yep....

New Person walks away mumbling something about a redneck.

Usually this might bother me, and I might get upset, and I might get aggravated, and my voice might get real high-pitched as I explain to them just how I am not a "Cotton-pickin' redneck!" 

But not anymore.  Nope, I am now a changed person.  Comfortable with my strong accent, and my hometown, and my redneck family.  (OK, OK, I admit, they are a bit redneck, but what can I say? They just can't help themselves!)

So instead of getting aggravated, I simply smile.  Say Yes (with an emphasis on the "Y" for added effect.) And continue the conversation, because that is what any well brought up redneck, country, southern girl would do.


Peace, Love, & My addiction to boots probably doesn't help the whole "redneck" stereotype....

Sweet T



P.S.


I blame them.

No comments: