Thursday, April 7, 2011

Comparable to Nothing

This is it.

I have found perfection.

No use in searching everyday in the mirror anymore (joke) because I have found it, and I found it on a plate, with a fork.

It is My Great Grandma Hazel's Red Velvet Sheet Cake...and it is perfect, delicious, and I'm really considering not sharing it with anyone...but how thoughtless would that be of me?? 
Would it be too thoughtless? 
Because it's so good, I might not care if I were considered thoughtless?
Ok fine...I won't be thoughtless....( I really wish I was thoughtless, and selfish...I really do.)


This.

This is the cake that made me whole.

This is the cake that changed my life.

And this is the cake I am going to share with you.

Let me just go ahead and say your welcome, because once you taste it the joy you feel will be comparable to NOTHING...Ok, that may be an exaggeration, but I can't help it, it's the cake talking.

Ingredients:
  • 1 c. Shortening
  • 1 1/2 c. Sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 oz. Red Food Coloring
  • 1 oz. Water (I just refill the newly emptied red food coloring bottle...I know, I'm SO innovative.)
  • 2 T. cocoa
  • 1 c. buttermilk
  • 2 C. Flour
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1 T. vinegar
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1 t. salt
Directions:
  1. Cream Shortening and sugar (Try saying shortening and sugar five times real fast...it'll catch your tongue on fire.)
  2. Add eggs and blend.
  3. Add coloring, water, and cocoa.
  4. Add buttermilk (Yes, despite the buttermilk, this is a delicious cake.)
  5. Add flour and salt.
  6. Add vanilla and beat until mixed.
  7. Mix vinegar and soda and stir in last. DO NOT BEAT.  ( I don't know why that's just what my Great Grandma Hazel's recipe says...so I's does it.)
  8. Bake in a greased sheet pan...or in two regular sized pans...just go with whatever your heart is telling you.
  9. For sheet cake - 20 min. at 350 degrees.
  10. For regular cakes - 30 to 35 min. at 350 degrees.
And yessirree...it's as simple as that.

For the icing you can use whatever your heart is telling you. 

A nice rich cream cheese icing would be marvelous, simply marvelous!
Or a butter cream would be just divine.
I chose to use a whipped cream icing that I found here, and let me tell ya my brothas and sistas it was heavenly!

( I have got to quite watching movies where everyone is southern.)

So now I've provided you with the powers to go out and find perfection in cake form.

May your food endeavors be successful, and wonderful, and delicious Amen.


Peace, Love, & Red is my new favorite color

Sweet T


P.S. Here's an idea for ya...

Seeing as that I am completely and totally addicted to sweets in a manner that is probably not healthy...I've been kicking around the idea of doing a Sweet Thursday. 

It would simply be a day where I posted a new "sweet" recipe that I have fallen in love with, or a "sweet" recipe that I find on some other fellow sweets lover blog...

Simple Idea I know, but I just thought I would run it by all of you since you are the people who keep this blog going, keep me alive, and keep me well fed.

So whether you love the idea, or think I should be institutionalized, share your opinions with me!

And we shall go on from there....

Happy Sweet Thursday...(for now.)

No comments: